Saturday, March 14, 2009

Melting...

Outside at dusk, in jammies, on a warm spring evening...chasing Mister.


Breakfast with Bearw.



One of my favorite things about being Amelia's mom are the surprises. It seems that she manages to pull them out at just the right times. The kind of surprises that remind me she is becoming an independent, sweet and loving little girl. A little human that I have the privilege of guiding and teaching, nurturing and loving. As scary and challenging as it seems some days, and as I often find myself questioning myself at every turn, it's the most important job I have ever taken on and absolutely without question, my very favorite. The rewards are immeasurable and sometimes, well, surprising.
Lately, after a few books and only a few minutes of rocking together in her big cozy rocker, she has been asking to lie down in her bed to fall asleep in her favorite position. On her tummy, knees tucked in, bum in the air, hands placed under her belly with elbows out (to keep them warm I imagine) with her mommy shirt tucked on up under there too. But yesterday was a little different...as I was laying her down in her crib and she assumed this cozy position, she picked her head up, turned her big brown eyes up at me and for the first time, without me saying it first and without prompting, she sweetly and softly said "ub youuu." For those of you who don't read Amelia language, that means "I love you." I swear if it was possible to melt away, I think I might have right then and there. And surprisingly, as if my heart wasn't full enough, I actually felt it grow. It was quite possibly the sweetest surprise.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

The sweetest blog ever. Tears from grandma.