Friday, February 25, 2011

Heaven

Big sister helping little sister with her suckie.

Little Evie...on the brink of a smile.

One sunny afternoon this past week Amelia and I snuggled together, as we often do, on my bed while little Evie took a nap in her bassinet. We talked and laughed about the day and other random things when Amelia picked up a framed photo of she and I off of my night stand. Though it was taken only 2 1/2 years ago, it seemed like such an old photo, me looking like a young(ish) new mother and Amelia with her big round eyes propped up on my lap... all of 9 months old. I asked her "who is that in that picture?" She replied, "You. And me. And Evie." I corrected her, "no, Evie wasn't there, that's just you and me." To which she quickly reminded herself, "Oh, cause Evie was with God." I smiled, "yes, she was, with God in Heaven." She turned to me with big inquisitive eyes...
A: "Mom, is Heaven a city?"
Me: Well, kind of, but it's not really a city you can visit.
A: Well where is it then?
Me: Well, it's not here on earth, but it is a big and very beautiful place.
A: If it's not on earth then how do we get our water?
Me: Oh, there's lots of fresh clean water there.
A: And JUICE, and MILK????
Me: Yes, and juice and milk.
A: And so there must be a grocery store there?
Me: Yes, not to worry, Heaven has absolutely everything we need and more.

She had slid off the bed and this point and was off to the next thing...but I wish the conversation would have lasted longer. I'm not sure why she needed to know about what type of refreshments are available in Heaven...but I just realized as I am typing this that in her 3.5 years of life we have not yet had that discussion about death and life in Heaven with God. We've only talked about babies being in Heaven with God until they are born. I am realizing that she wanted to be reassured that water, juice, milk and a place to shop for them would be available to us. It's as if her little soul already knows without really knowing that Lord willing, we'll being going back there one day, and we'll be having ourselves some milk, and juice.

No comments: