Monday, June 23, 2008

Umm...what happened to you, Daddy....?

First of all, still no camera. Still trying to figure out what to do about the repair situation. But good news, I did just remember that our video camera has a still photo option. So, I can post a few in the meantime.
We've had visitors! The Turrells love visitors. First, our friend Heather came for a fun visit. Amelia loved her. We went for walks, went shopping, to the coffee shop, out to lunch and even hit an estate sale. Amelia was just one of the girls, hanging out, she loves to be social.
Next my friend Molly and her two great kids, Marian and Michael came for the weekend. (And she loved you too, Molly). :) Though they did not stay with us, we spent two fun-filled days with them and the "other Kim" :) and her fun family in Franklin. Again, Amelia had a blast. Every time she spends a significant amount of time around kids, she seems to blossom more and more. I love it.
We all spent Sunday afternoon swimming. This was only the second time she had been in a pool. As soon as we entered the gate and she caught a glimpse of the twinkling light blue water, she squealed and panted and pointed and bounced about with glee, practically leaping out of Ford's arms toward the water. She wanted in. The kid loves the pool. She and Ford got right in, they swam and splashed. She moved her arms and kicked her legs, just like the little amphibian she is...
She couldn't have been having more fun, and then, in a flash, things took a little bit of a turn...
Ford held Amelia up high as he dunked his own self under water coming back up to greet her with a dripping wet head and big smile...she was not amused. There were no tears, no whining. Just staring, nervous staring at Ford and his sopping wet head.
"What has happened to my Daddy? My Daddy was just right here, swimming with me, splashing and having fun, and now what do I do? I kind of don't want to touch him, or even look at him...but yet, I can't take my eyes off of him..."
Of course Ford and I were laughing as he reassured her and tried to convince her it was him and that he was okay. "Beans, it's okay, it's me, Daddy." She wasn't having it. So much seriousness. This state of seriousness went on for quite a while. Even as I took her from him and swam with her, she seemed to forget about the whole thing for a few minutes, and then suddenly she'd catch a glimpse of him... and again with the total seriousness.
We could not figure this one out as she has seen Ford's wet head before, in fact every morning she sees his wet mop after he gets out the shower before work.
Who knows what her little mind was thinking.
Overall, she had a complete blast. A perfect summer day spent with friends. She was exhausted when we got home. She smelled of pool and baby sunscreen and her head and hair were a greasy mess (since I loaded the sunscreen onto her nugget as she has developed a real aversion to wearing hats). After a long day, we made it home before bed time. I had that nostalgic feeling of arriving home after a long fun-filled, but tiring in a good way, sunny summer vacation. I love that feeling. As I gave her a bath and washed the sunscreen off of her body and got her into her clean jammies, I couldn't help but be thankful. Thankful that she can be a healthy, happy summer baby, splashing about in the summer sun. I don't take days like this one for granted. They are golden.

No comments: