Wednesday, October 3, 2007

Pre-appointment update...


I can't believe Amelia is almost 2 months old. It's been such fun watching her grow and watching her personality blossom and to think, there's so much more to come! Along with the time spent getting to know our little Amelia, the 2 month marker has also been one of anxiety for me. It means trip number two to see Dr. Mike Smith, pediatric dermatologist at Vanderbilt University Children's Hospital. Many things have been going through my mind leading up to this appointment. He told us at her 2 week visit, that if her skin looked normal he would not do a biopsy. So, I felt like we had this time limit of six weeks to watch her skin do what it needed to do to reveal normal baby skin head to toe. As anxious as I was for this, I have to remind myself that my timing is not always God's timing...but overall, we have been extremely encouraged by her progress, she just keeps looking better and better.
Along with some of the original membrane still left on her when we were discharged from the hospital, she kind of peeled again on certain areas of her trunk. It's almost completely gone and all that is really left to peel is her neck and the creases in her pelvis and a tiny bit on her tummy. I was hoping this would all be gone by her appointment date, but I can't complain since the skin underneath what has come off is the appropriate color and is very smooth. I think this is just taking the longest because they are hidden in her creases. Her skin on her face, shoulders, arms, hands, bottom, legs and feet still look beautiful and normal and have not changed in the past few months. Wonderful, this has been so reassuring for me. As you can imagine, I inspect her daily and I thank Him everyday. :)
Praise God! Our prayers are working.
Knowing how well she's doing, it's so hard that we have to wait to see what he says about her trunk and whether or not he wants to do a biopsy. From what we understand, the biopsy would involve a local anesthetic (a shot) and then a 3 mm diameter plug of skin would be removed and closed up with 1 stitch, leaving a small scar. So, if he does one, he'd probably take it from her butt, which again looks normal. Ford's opinion is that he will not biopsy her this time since there is nothing to really biopsy. That feels like answered prayers to me. :)
There are many facets to this condition, not really worth getting into unless there's a reason to but we recently learned that 1 in 250 people have Ichthyoisis (which basically means dry skin). This type is called Vulgaris and can be associated with the Colloidian membrane or not. The other types that the dermatologist mentioned are more rare as they are associated with the membrane. And of course there are the babies who have the membrane but no condition.
We continue to pray each and every day for her healing. She is looking so great and we thank you all for continuing to WAIT with us and most importantly for continuing to pray for her.
So, I am asking AGAIN....Please continue to pray for her complete HEALING from this condition and please pray for her appointment on Monday.
Thank you.
Love to you all.
Kim
Mark 11:24

No comments: