Friday, February 5, 2010

School Girlie.

Today was a big day for the Turrells. We think we may have found a preschool for Amelia to attend this fall...and as far as first impressions go, it's amazing. We heard about it from one of Ford's law professors who could not say enough good things about it. Both of his kids attend.
After meeting with the director, touring the school, and watching Amelia explore with glorious wonder...Ford and I both knew this was the place Amelia would spend her first days away from home, away from us, away from me.
I had my list of questions for the director and I found myself pleasantly surprised and excited as I listened to her share with me the philosophy of the school and the concept from which they base their curriculum. As I listened to her speak, I found myself welling up...imagining Amelia participating, engaging, dancing, singing, creating, exploring, learning and growing in this joyful little place. What an amazing feeling.
Remember, Amelia has been with me since birth. No daycare, no regular babysitters, (only a handful of babysitters at that) just us, everyday for 2 1/2 years. Even just a few months ago, I could not imagine Amelia not being home with me, part of me wants to keep her home as I long as I can. I knew she was ready...she lights up at just the mention of going to school. I knew this was coming but letting go did not feel quite right...not just yet.
Today I feel differently. I feel hopeful. Excited. Ready.
As we pulled out of the school driveway, Ford said, "well, what do you think?" I knew it was the perfect fit...I felt the tears begin to blur my vision and I was unable to answer him, so I just nodded. He turned his head away and I knew he too was fighting back a few.
It's almost time to let go. Just a little.

No comments: