Tuesday, May 27, 2008

All I had to do was ask...

With Grandpa and Grandma at the park.

Amelia in the adorable bubble suit made by cousin Anna.
Check out her pointing skills.

Not happy about trying on her bikini handed down from
cousins Sofia and Kate. Check out her belly button.


Well, it's been another fun-filled week on Beechwood Ave. We had some more visitors from the North. First Uncle Tom came down to attend a conference downtown and we got to spend lots of time showing him around Nashville and enjoying the local fare. Neely's BBQ and chicken livers and biscuits at the Loveless Cafe were among his favorites. Next Grandma and Grandpa Lotoszinski came on a spur of the moment decision just so they could get their Amelia fix. They were able to spend a long weekend and got to see first hand all of Amelia's new tricks. She sure did love them up with lots of hugs and kisses.

Grandma and Grandpa also found out the hard way about the diaper gymnastics that go on around here. It took the two of them together to change Amelia's diaper...and it's not because they don't know how to do it.
Lately, as soon as you lay her down to do the diaper duty, she kicks it into the layout with the full pike and twisting double flip to the left... and she does this at the speed of lightning. Once she's in position she's in all out escape mode looking for the nearest exit, which is Trouble if she's on the changing table. One has to be mentally prepared and physically ready to counteract these lightning fast moves with an object of distraction. It can't be any old toy or book, it must be an item of extreme interest...for example, a colorful hanging tag on a new piece of clothing or maybe the plastic container from a new pair of shoe inserts. Never-the-less, these items distract only for a few brief minutes and then she's on the move again...
This morning, upon waking, I put her in our bed to feed her. When this happens she is wide awake but this gives the mommy a few much needed extra minutes to wake up. Her diaper was nice and big this morning as it usually is when arises. I had put off the inevitable as long as I could. So, while she sat sitting up in the bed between us, sucking her suckie and quietly playing with her clean diaper, I softly asked her...
"Do you want me to put that clean diaper on you now?"
She paused and looked at the diaper for a moment, and handed it right to me.
Astonished, I continued "Okay, you have to lay down then."
I was dumbfounded as I watched her do exactly as I said, she laid down on her back and waited patiently for me begin. She sat perfectly still and let me change her diaper.
Apparently, all I had to do was ask.

No comments: