Saturday, January 1, 2011

Day 8 - Happy New Year

Today Evie is 8 days old. Day 8 in the NICU. Her blood work came back with good results. Hematocrit and hemoglobin levels went up and her electrolytes were fine. Her bilirubin is a little high, but nothing to be alarmed about. She is eating like a champ and maintains her weight around 6 lbs and 14 oz. I've been able to try to nurse her twice, the first time successfully and the second she was just too sleepy. She continues to get breast milk as I pump every 3 hours! Brings me back 3 1/2 years...I pump, Ford makes the milk run. :)
The membrane around her eyes, mouth and ears has begun to crack and peel. She had her first "bath" today, which consisted of being wiped down with some purified water. Some of it she enjoyed and some she didn't.
Overall she is doing well and is following suit with her sister's progress. The waiting is hard. The hardest. Please continue to pray for her membrane to shed and reveal beautiful healthy skin underneath.
Amelia is handling it all so well. She has spent lots and lots of time with my parents, my sister and her cousins this past week. I've been so proud of how mature she's been, she just seems to be just taking it all in stride. She's had four "sleepovers" at Grandma and Grandpa Loto's house and handled the separation beautifully. Knowing she is happy has made this whole NICU ordeal so much easier. She is sooo excited to have a baby sister. I can't wait for the two of them to finally meet.
Thank you for your prayers.

No comments: