Thursday, January 27, 2011

Happy One Month, Evie! 1-25-2011



Happy one month birthday to Evie! Strange to think she should have just been born. Her due date was January 24 and her c-section date was scheduled for 39 weeks on January 17th. She decided Christmas would be more fun...I was only 35 weeks and 5 days at that point but from the size of her, you'd think I was full term. She was considered a preemie at birth and would have gone to the NICU anyway (regardless of her skin condition) to be monitored. Even though she was considered premature, she had none of the typical preemie issues; eating, breathing, etc.
At her 4 week doctor appointment, the nurse asked all the typical developmental questions of a 4 week old born at term. Evie is keeping right up. She is gaining some pounds and inches as well! At 4 weeks she is 9 lbs 4 oz and 21 inches long. Wow! Considering she got down to 6 lb 13 oz after birth, she's not doing too bad! They adjust the percentages for her 4 week early arrival and therefore she's in the 92nd percentile for weight, 89th for height and 86th for head circumference.
However, when the doc asked me if she was giving responsive smiles yet and not just the random smiles during sleep (or because of gas)...I was not able to say yes. I hadn't seen her really smile at me. The doc said not to worry, she should be doing that in the next week or two.
The next day, after a bath (which she LOVES by the way), I had a wide awake Evie stretched out on the bed while I dressed her. Grandma Claudia was here and was talking to her while she kicked and played. Next thing we knew, a huge (responsive) grin for Grandma. Aw. Her first smile. And then another cheeky smile for me. What could be better?
Evie's smile = joy.

No comments: