Tuesday, September 11, 2007

Tuesday


Today is Tuesday! It's our long night/day together. I'm sure as weeks go on and she is sleeping more through the night that these days will get easier and easier. Today was 50/50. She cried 50% of the time and didn't cry the other 50%. :) It seemed she was having a growth spurt day because all she wanted to do was eat!! Every day is an adventure!
It's funny how when you're pregnant, everyone shares their pregnancy stories with you and offers their insight and advice. And when you bring your newborn home and try to deal with all of the changes...the stories, insight and advice keep coming. I imagine this continues as children grow as long as mothers, sisters, aunts, and friends have stories and knowledge and advice to pass on. It's a common bond we all share, whether we have children yet or not, and I find it incredibly comforting. Especially comforting to hear that you are not crazy and definitely comforting to know you are not alone. The first thing every woman says to me since her birth is "Kim, you're not crazy, you know that right?!" :) Funny thing is, no matter how many times I hear that, it's always a relief!
It's certainly exciting but overwhelming to deal with the newness of being a first time mom and dealing with the "normal" stuff associated with newborns. However, I never would've imagined I would have gotten the news on her first day of life that there was a genetic issue with her skin, that she would spend her first two weeks of life in the NICU and the future of her condition would remain unknown for some time. As scary, overwhelming, tiring and sad as the whole ordeal was in the hospital, we somehow had to kick it into gear to take care of her throughout her stay in the NICU. Now that she is home and out of immediate danger, we are like any other parents learning how to care for this little one...but there is something more. The waiting, the not knowing, the overwhelming desire to know that she is going to be fine. This "something more" is the hardest for me to accept and I admit that it hasn't been very easy for me. Also, I somehow felt, that because of our circumstances, that I was placed in another category of parenthood. I felt that my experience was different from most people I know and I was angry about it, still am I guess. I have actually felt grief. I grieved for normalcy and grieved for the expectations not met. Somehow the sense of normalcy was snatched away that very first day and I found myself asking why. Why?
Now I am faced with the next big question...what's next? With this question comes fear and anxiety.
I am told, however, that this questioning exists in the hearts and minds of every parent, even if their child doesn't have a genetic skin condition, or any other genetic disorder, or autism, or cancer... when we make the decision to become parents, and God blesses us with a pregnancy, we are still given no guarantees. I found that out on day one. Because we love our children so much, it is easy to forget sometimes that ultimately, they belong to Him.
But when we do make that decision to become parents, we also make the decision to be caregivers, to guide and teach, to wipe tears and share in laughter, to take a step back and ultimately let go...and we make the decision to love unconditionally, just as He loves us.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Kim,
Wow, how come it took me so long to figure out what you have figured out with parenthood? You are wise among your parenthood "age" my friend. Mo bought my Madilyn a little cross that says, "Little Ones to Him Belong"... took me years to figure that one out. I fight with control a lot. I would love more kids but I was "blessed" with severe post partum depression with both kids (once after Madilyn's birth and another while I was pregnant with Wyatt and then a 'little' after his birth). Yes, it is easy to get angry because of your situation (I know I was and alway asked God "WHY?" Why did you put me through this hell on earth and take some parenthood away from the kids? Why?, but you are in such a wonderful place with the peace that you have (and yes, sometimes fight). That "fight" is fear and it likes to surface. Just stay strong and Keep The Faith that you have! Your "why" will come. I'll tell you my "why He choose me" revelation one day. A friend of mine lost her husband to cancer and had a 2 year-old at home. I asked her: "Do you ever ask 'Why'?" She said, "Oh Yes, and then I realized what an evil place asking that question got me and I don't go there anymore." OOOH, what a wise lady.
Keep in touch. Thinking of you and praying for you all to be at peace. love, Lisa P.S. You are not crazy! Thank God my mom kept telling me that during my "episodes" - it was what I needed to hear deperately! And you are not crazy either!